On Thursday, Laura Barajas (40) underwent surgery to remove all four of her limbs after she contracted a vibrio vulnificus bacterial infection from undercooked Tilapia fish that she purchased from a local market in her hometown of San Jose, California. The incident occurred in July. A few days after consuming the Tilpia fish that she cooked, the mother of a six-year-old boy fell ill, prompting her hospitalization for months.
“She almost lost her life. She was on a respirator,” recalled Laura's friend, Anna Messina. “They put her into a medically induced coma. Her fingers were black, her feet were black her bottom lip was black. She had complete sepsis and her kidneys were failing.”
According to the CDC, there are nearly 150 similar cases reported on a yearly basis. You can donate to Laura's GodFundMe campaign here.