Update 02/15/2022 10:15pm:
Following a series of screenshots of conversations with his estranged-wife and problematic captions, Kanye West has taken the first step to possibly moving past all this by taking account of his actions. He nearly wiped his IG clean on Tuesday and left a single photo of himself with the caption:
I’ve learned that using all caps makes people feel like I’m screaming at them. I’m working on my communication. I can benefit from a team of creative professionals, organizers, mobilizers and community leaders. Thank everybody for supporting me. I know sharing screen shots was jarring and came off as harassing Kim. I take accountability. I’m still learning in real time. I don’t have all the answers. To be good leader is to be a good listener.
Original 02/15/2022 10:07pm:
Social justice activist Shaun King took to Instagram to opine on Kanye West's recent behavior toward his estranged-wife and her new beau Pete Davidson. In a lengthy IG post, Shaun King explained at length exactly why he believes Ye has teetered into the realm of abuser. King labeled Ye's behavior as "very problematic" and even made comparisons between West and former President Donald Trump on the grounds of narcissism. He also pointed out what he thinks is Ye's toxic cycle: "Gospel. Pro-Black statement. Followed by toxicity. Violent innuendo and memes. And weirdness. Rinse and repeat."
Check out Shaun King's full comments below:
KanyeWest has crossed a line into abuse.
And here’s the thing.
He’s a brilliant artist.
He sometimes says smart shit.
And makes good music.
But he has crossed a dangerous line that I personally find very problematic and is common with abusive men.
Let me explain it because this whole situation is a land mine.
1. Kanye and Kim are separated and Kim has filed for divorce.
2. Kanye has openly and publicly dated multiple women, including over the past month, while…
3. He has repeatedly threatened violence against a man Kim has seen.
4. And threatened the careers and names and reputations of good men and women connected to that man.
5. All in the name of his family.
But NONE of this helps Kanye’s family.
6. Kim literally texts him to tell him he has started to create a physically dangerous situation for them.
7. And he posts the text, with another meme of physical violence.
So let me tell you the ONLY other famous person I know that does this…
Who memed about violence over and over.
And alluded to it over and over.
UNTIL people got violent.
It’s not funny.
At the root of it, is Kanye (and Trump’s) extreme narcissism. And his admitted problems with mental health.
And so what Kanye does, is post some truly toxic and dangerous stuff about his family, THEN:
8. Posts something smart and pro-Black in between dates with a new white woman.
9. And the smart pro-Black statement then buys him some time and grace for people to deal with his toxicity.
10. Then he’ll have people sing a Gospel song.
11. Then he’ll post and delete and post and delete veiled threats at Kim.
12. Then he’ll go live saying people don’t want him to see his kids - while ignoring the fact that he is so manic and unpredictable that anybody would be concerned about having him around. This pulls at the heartstrings of all of us who fight for Black fathers, but ignores troubling warning signs.
13. Then rinse and repeat. Gospel. Pro-Black statement. Followed by toxicity. Violent innuendo and memes. And weirdness. Rinse and repeat.