NBA Commissioner Adam Silver held a press conference on Tuesday to address the leaked audio recording of Clippers owner Donald Sterling's racist remarks, and has officially banned Sterling from the NBA. Details of the ban are included below:
- Banned from NBA for life. Includes ban from all games, practices and contact with players.
- $2.5 million fine to be donated to anti-discrimination organizations.
- Silver is working with other owners to force sale of team, subject to 3/4 vote to remove him. Process to begin immediately.
- Doesn't matter if comments were shared in private, they were made public and reflective of his views.
- Investigation included several interviews concluded last night.
- Sterling now admits it's his voice and expressed no regrets.
- Decision was made solely on this incident, not past offenses.
- Silver spoke with several players before the decision was made, and believes they will be satisfied with the outcome.
More details as they are released.