Nick Cannon turned the page on his career in television earlier this week, when he announced that he would not be back for another season of America's Got Talent, citing creative differences with network executives. The move is likely to signify the burning of some bridges between Cannon and the industry, as his departure is essentially a breach of contract and NBC is yet to have accepted his resignation. According to a statement Cannon made on Thursday, February 16, however, none of that would matter to him any longer, seeing how he has shifted his focus away from entertainment and towards activism.
"I honestly feel at this point right now, uh, you know, my focus is working with my community. You know what I mean, and television is a small part of what I do," Cannon told TMZ. The actor/producer was in the Bronx visiting a local high school when he was approached with a question as to whether he'd consider hosting the show again, considering NBC has reportedly said they want him back. Flanked by members of the New York City chapter of Black Lives Matter, Cannon declined the opportunity, implying that perhaps there isn't enough money in the world that could bring him back. "They thought it was a major asset in my life, and it really isn't."
Cannon leaves a salary of $4.5 million per year on the table by leaving the show. He is believed to have left as a matter of conviction, after he got in trouble with the network following the airing of the “Stand Up, Don't Shoot” Showtime Special, in which he criticizes Comcast for pressing him to tailor his behavior for mainstream audiences, although the corporation contends that their issue was with his use of the N-word in the routine. There is indication that Cannon's exit is even deeper than his particular issue with Comcast, however, as he is reported to have subsequently fired long term publicist and advisor Alla Plotkin and Chris Smith.