The man responsible for drawing the public's attention to the shooting death of Alton Sterling by Baton Rouge police on July 5, says he has not been allowed back to work since uploading the video and believes he is being punished for exposing the incident. One day after U.S. Air Force veteran Christopher LeDay, 34, of Atlanta leaked the recording, he was arrested without incident, while on the job at Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta. Since then, LeDay has been out on unpaid leave, and blocked from entering the premises due to what he has been told are security clearance issues.
"He should not be penalized or possibly retaliated against, he should not be embarrassed at his place of employment for doing what is right," LeDay's lawyer Tiffany Simmons told the press in regards to the matter. Simmons says LeDay was never presented with a warrant because he has no criminal history. After keeping him in detention at DeKalb County Jail for 26 hours, he was released, as authorities had still failed to produce a warrant. According to LeDay, he was told he was under arrest for assault and battery, two charges his defense claims never existed.
While in custody authorities changed their tune, claim Simmons and LeDay, informing him at that point that he was being held for unresolved traffic citations. LeDay would pay the tickets before he was let out. Still, his superiors at Dobbins Air Force Base have kept him from returning, though according to LeDay, they knew about the traffic infractions through a background check they did before hiring him.